University of California President Mark G. Yudof has named a committee of university faculty, staff, students, alumni and community representatives to advise him in the national search for the next chancellor of UC Merced. Russell S. Gould, chairman of the UC Board of Regents and a member of the committee, appointed five regents to serve.
Sung-Mo "Steve" Kang, who has been chancellor of UC Merced since March 2007, announced in September that he plans to step down on June 30, 2011. He will continue in his current position throughout the search process, and return to teaching and research as a member of the University of California faculty...
Named to serve on the advisory committee are:
- UC Regents Rex Hime, Sherry Lansing, Hadi Makarechian, Frederick Ruiz and Jesse Cheng;
- Faculty representatives Dan Simmons, chair of the Universitywide Academic Senate and UC Davis professor of law; Henry C. Powell, former chair of the Universitywide Academic Senate and UC San Diego professor, Department of Pathology; Evan Heit, chair of the UC Merced Academic Senate and UC Merced professor, School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts; Michael Colvin, UC Merced professor, School of Natural Sciences; and Martha Conklin, UC Merced professor, School of Engineering;
- Staff representative Erin Webb, president of the UC Merced Staff Assembly;
- Student representatives Katherine Harris, campus affairs officer, UC Merced Graduate Student Association; and Lamar Williams, president, UC Merced Associated Students;
- Alumni representative Josh Franco, former president of UC Merced Associated Students;
- UC Merced Foundation representative Josh Becker, chair of the foundation board; and
- Ex-officio members of the committee — President Yudof, convener of the committee; and Russell S. Gould, chairman of the UC Board of Regents.