We posted the audio of the “scoping” session on UCLA revised hotel/conference center proposal that was held on Nov. 14. There were repeated concerns raised about traffic. The plan evidently calls for all traffic to enter the campus through Westwood Boulevard, southern entrance from the Village.
But there is a limited turn-around space in front of the proposed hotel/conference center which must also accommodate various municipal bus lines that terminate there, hired buses that will pick up and leave off hotel/conference guests, and other drop-off vehicles, as well as the entrance to the project’s own parking. Comments from the public suggested that accommodating so much traffic in such a small space was impractical.
But maybe there is an answer, courtesy of Westwood’s Hotel Palomar. From yesterday’s LA Times:
Hotel lets guests walk for discount
A hotel in Westwood is rewarding guests who defy the stereotype that Angelenos don't walk. Hotel Palomar last month began rewarding guests who walk at least 10,000 steps a day with a 50% discount on their next hotel stay. To record the achievement, the hotel hands out free pedometers and walking maps to guests who sign up for the Walk This Way package.
The package, which will be offered until June 30, also includes a $20 credit for food and drinks at the hotel. The deal is also available at the Hotel Palomar San Diego. For the average person, 10,000 steps is about five miles of walking. It's a target that first gained popularity in Japan in the 1960s as a daily goal to remain healthy and active.
The Hotel Palomar Los Angeles suggests that guests who wish to walk 10,000 steps circle nearby Holmby Park or the UCLA campus…
Full article at http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-1114-travel-briefcase-20111114,0,6949116.story
Bottom line: No cars or buses are needed. Guests can walk to the hotel/conference center (and get a discount on the already cheap $180 room rate - a Palomar style 50% walking discount would cut their room cost for future events to $90). Just a modest suggestion!
As the song goes:Just to be helpful, here are the Google-map walking directions from LAX to UCLA:
Los Angeles International Airport
1. Head north on World Way toward West Way 0.6 mi
2. Turn left onto Sky Way 0.3 mi
3. Slight left toward Davidson Dr 230 ft
4. Turn right onto Davidson Dr 417 ft
5. Turn right onto Alverstone Ave 364 ft
6. Turn left onto W 96th St 315 ft
7. Continue onto S Sepulveda Blvd 2.3 mi
8. Slight left onto Sepulveda Blvd 1.0 mi
9. Turn right onto Jefferson Blvd 0.6 mi
10. Turn left onto Overland Ave 2.2 mi
11. Slight left to stay on Overland Ave 1.8 mi
12. Turn right onto Santa Monica Blvd E 0.1 mi
13. Turn left onto Manning Ave 1.1 mi
14. Turn right onto Hilgard Ave 0.2 mi
15. Turn left onto Westholme Ave 0.1 mi
16. Turn right toward Portola Pl 128 ft
17. Turn right onto Portola Pl 0.1 mi
18. Slight right onto Charles E Young Dr S/Portola Pl 469 ft
19. Turn left 0.1 mi
20. Turn left 72 ft
University of California, Los Angeles