Pages

Friday, October 2, 2026

Dartmouth: Did Somebody Say Mach Schnell?


From The Dartmouth we learn the provost wanted to get his writing done quickly: 

In an email to campus..., College President Sian Leah Beilock wrote that she is initiating a “rigorous, objective review” of College Provost Santiago Schnell’s use of artificial intelligence in his “academic publications and public writing.” Her announcement follows reporting by The Dartmouth...  which showed that several of Schnell’s recent publications, including op-eds and academic articles, were flagged as “AI-written” by AI detector Pangram. 

In an opinion article in The Dartmouth on Friday titled “What I’ve Learned About AI and Academic Integrity,” Schnell wrote that, “in retrospect, I now realize I should always explicitly disclose use of AI in my public writing and be attentive to the expectations of AI use set by publications.” “I am sorry that this was not my standard practice and, moving forward, it will be,” Schnell wrote...

Full story at https://www.thedartmouth.com/article/2026/09/sharma-hubbard-beilock-ai-statement.

From the original expose in The Dartmouth: 

An investigation by The Dartmouth of academic articles and opinion pieces published by Provost Santiago Schnell in 2026 found a median “AI-written” text percentage of 96% using artificial intelligence detector Pangram... 

Full story at https://www.thedartmouth.com/article/2026/09/schnell-ai-writing.

Semi-apology (hopefully self written) in The Dartmouth by Provost Schnell:

I know that some in the community are concerned after reading recent news stories about my use of artificial intelligence, including the article that appeared this week in The Dartmouth. I understand that my use of AI in writing is raising important questions about the standards of scholarly and professional work...

Full statement at https://www.thedartmouth.com/article/2026/09/provost-schnell-letter-to-the-editor.

NOTE: In the statement, he apologizes for not disclosing his use of AI in writing. He doesn't apologize for using it. 

No comments: