Yours truly has limited time to go through all of the sessions so we will rely on the Bruin's short summary of the full board's meeting below. You can listen at the link provided below. (Yours truly has downloaded the files for Jan. 23, but they need some editing - again time consuming - before they can be posted. We again note that if the Regents would preserve their recordings indefinitely rather than delete them after one year, all of this downloading, editing, and uploading would be unnecessary.
From the Bruin:
- Demonstrators outside of the Mission Bay Conference Center protested for UC worker’s rights. During the public comment session, other protestors interrupted Regents Chair John Pérez for about one minute until they left the room.
- Students from various UC campuses spoke to the board during public comment about a proposed tuition increase and the board’s support for workers unions.
- Varsha Sarveshwar, president of the UC Student Association and a student at UC Berkeley, said a tuition increase would disproportionately affect students whose parents refuse to pay their tuition, such as LGBTQ+ students, and could stifle student advocacy.
- Pérez said students were right to call attention to the deficiency of notice for the tuition increase and added the regents should be as transparent as possible.
- The regents discussed two plans for a potential multiyear proposal to increase tuition. UC President Janet Napolitano said students should be informed as soon as possible of a potential tuition increase.
You can listen to this session at the link below:
or direct to: