Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2019

UCPath problems - Need we say more?

Op Ed by GRA in Sacramento Bee:

As a graduate student researcher in the neuroscience PhD program at UCLA, I work hard to contribute to the University of California’s research mission. In addition to my studies, I support the efforts of my professors and contribute to published work. I strongly believe in the value of our research.
But ever since UC rolled out its new payroll system in September (UCPath), I’ve faced a new challenge: Each month, I have been paid only 48 percent of my wages. So far this has totaled an underpayment of gross wages of $8,669.67.
UC Associate Vice President of Operations Mark Cianca told the The Bee, “I do want to make it really clear: Everybody gets paid.” Yet, that hasn’t been true for me or many of my colleagues. Some have lost their health insurance and been forced to accumulate credit card debt. Some have even received eviction notices.
Administrators like Cianca fail to understand that many graduate student workers, and UC workers in general, live paycheck to paycheck. Missing even one paycheck is a crisis...

No comments: