Fellows will support the Center’s work by:
Developing a project or conducting research on a topic relevant to First Amendment and civic engagement issues with an aim toward producing a deliverable that will help advance the cause of freedom of expression. The outcome of the project can take on many different forms, including a published paper, toolkit for campus administrators, an app for students to download, or other deliverable(s). We encourage creativity in thinking about how to translate your research into action.
- Interacting with current UC students through engagement with the UC Washington Center, as well as a week in residence on a UC campus. The Center will work with each fellow to develop these activities as appropriate for each fellow’s schedule.
- Presenting his or her work at the Center’s inaugural conference on free speech and civic engagement held in 2018.
- Providing a stipend of $20,000 for a yearlong project or research effort aimed at influencing the national debate on free speech and civic engagement.
- Sponsoring opportunities for the Fellow to engage with current students though lectures, small group seminars and other opportunities at both the Center in Washington, D.C., and on UC campuses.
- Facilitating access to UC’s accomplished faculty and staff to further the Fellow’s work.
Application at https://freespeechcenter.universityofcalifornia.edu/fellows/apply/