Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Scam Reminder

From time to time, we remind readers of Internet scams. A common one is an email that seems to come from someone you know. Typically, someone has hacked into the person's email account and used the account to email all the contacts (and you are one of them). The email will indicate that the person is stranded somewhere and needs money.

Here is a message I received today, for example:

Good Morning,
Sorry for any inconvenience, I'm in a terrible situation. Am stranded here in Cebu City, Philippines since last night. I was hurt and robbed on my way to the hotel I stayed and my luggage is still in custody of the hotel management pending when I make payment on outstanding bills I owe. Am waiting for my colleagues to send me money to get back home but they have not responded and my return flight will be leaving soon. Please let me know if you can help and I will refund the money back to you as soon as I get back home.keep checking your email because it's the only way i can get in touch with you
Regards,
(name of person)

If you get such an email, don't respond. If you have some way of getting in touch with the real person, let him/her know what is happening.

No comments: